It’s right for you if…
You’re looking for an e-MTB that’s just as ready to shred as non-electric trail bikes. You want a powerful Bosch drive system that’ll propel you up climbs so you can hit lap after lap.
The tech you get
A burly alloy frame with 150mm of rear travel that fully encases a 500Wh battery, an e-MTB optimized 160mm RockShox 35 Gold RL fork, a powerful new Bosch Performance Line CX 250W motor that assists up to 20 mph, and a Purion controller. Plus, a 1×12 drivetrain with a wide gear range so you can always find the ideal cadence for the motor, a dropper post, powerful 4-piston brakes for more downhill confidence, and 29er Bontrager wheels with nimble yet grippy 2.6″ tires.
The final word
Rail 5 is our best-value long-travel e-MTB. It’s equally as capable as our regular long-travel trail bikes, it just gets you back to the top in a flash. The powerful Bosch drive systems and durable part spec make for long-lasting fun.
Why you’ll love it
- Rail shreds just as hard as its non-electric brethren, plus it powers you right back up the mountain—no shuttle or lift necessary
- The Purion controller has Walk Assist and an intelligent eMTB mode that automatically delivers the right amount of power based on your terrain
- Made with the same exclusive frame tech as Remedy and Slash, like Mino Link adjustable geometry, a Straight Shot down tube for extra stiffness, and Active Braking Pivot (ABP)
- The dropper post lets you lower your saddle on the fly so it’s out of the way on descents
- Trek’s Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) system looks great and is super user-friendly: it fully hides the battery in the frame for protection, makes it easy remove the battery without tools and lets you mount a water bottle cage
New Bosch Performance Line CX
The all-new Bosch Performance Line CX motor is lighter, smaller, and quieter than previous versions, for cleaner integration and more nimble handling. It’s also more efficient so you can go farther on a single battery charge. Use the intelligent eMTB mode to automatically adjust the amount of assist to match the terrain. It’s a set-and-forget mode that delivers just the right amount of power so you can focus on enjoying the ride.
Custom eMTB Lite mode
Trek eMTBs feature a custom eMTB Lite mode in place of Tour mode. It gives you more natural-feeling power delivery and longer battery life.
Removable Integrated Battery
RIB is a one-piece battery and cover with a built-in handle that can easily be removed and re-installed in the frame with no tools and no hassle. It’s the most convenient way to remove your battery for transport, security, or just easier charging.
Active Braking Pivot
Active Braking Pivot allows our engineers to tune how the suspension reacts to acceleration and braking forces independently. That means you get more confident control when you need it most.
Knock Block has your frame’s back when things go wrong. It prevents your handlebars from spinning all the way around in a crash, so your hoses won’t get yanked, and your controls won’t hit the top tube.
Sizing & fit
The charts below show our recommended sizes based on height, but there are some other factors, like arm and leg length, that determine a great fit. That’s why you’ll see some overlap in our recommendations. Not every rider who’s 5´8˝, for example, will fit on the same size bike. The best way to find your perfect fit is to consult the experts at your local retailer.